Heavy eyelids? Daydreaming constantly? In danger of dozing despite the fact that your desk chair is ridiculously uncomfortable? We’ve all had our days (okay, weeks) at work where our alertness levels are extremely low.
Fortunately, there are remedies—and no, we’re not going to tell you to get more sleep. We’ve rounded up the most innovative ways to get and stay at Energizer-Bunny status.
- Stretch – Many of us spend our days hunched over a computer, so it’s important to regularly stretch. Simple stretches can be done beside your desk or in the washroom if you feel the need for a little more privacy.
- Seek help – If you feel like you are out of your depth, inundated with work, or simply overwhelmed by a situation, remember that it’s okay to ask for help. Asking for help is a sign of strength not weakness.
- Drink water – Even though you may not feel thirsty, make a point of regularly drinking a glass of water. Not only does it rehydrate your body, it also flushes out toxins.
- Coffee breaks – Make a point of getting up and leaving your desk for a break. Get up and walk to the kitchen or coffee machine and be consciously in the moment as you make your coffee. If there is an opportunity to step outside into the fresh air, do so rather than stay inside.
- Meal breaks – Take regular meal breaks. Eat for pleasure and not just to refuel your body. Don’t allow yourself to get so hungry that you eat on the run or over your desk.
Source: The Muse